Ongaro e Fuga was established in 1954 by Franco Fuga and his wife Tullia Ongaro, but our art dates back centuries, and today we are able to perpetuate the magic and wonder of Venetian mirrors.
Just like our name comes from the encounter between the pride of the Hungarian mountains and the freshness of the waters and the colours of Murano, our mirrors combine the solidity of the finest materials and craftsmanship precision with the lightness of art.
The creative flair of Giuliano, the founders' son, keeps past techniques, materials and processing methods alive, while concurrently creating a bridge towards the future, thanks to partnerships with international artists and designers. We work in Murano because here, there is no need to sit down and think to design a new mirror: because here, every cloud and every coloured façade reflected on the waters of the lagoon is the living material which inspires our creations.
For us, creating is not only the manual crafting of Venetian-style mirrors, but it is also the designing of site-specific installations, teaming up with artists, designers and architects, restoring and reproducing antique mirrors, a famous example of which is the restoration of the mirrors at La Fenice theatre in the 1960s.
For us, skill derives not only from "know-how", but also from the "ability to imagine". For this reason, we put our workmanship and the force of tradition at the disposal of the creative flair of artists and designers.
Ongaro e Fuga is part of the Murano Promovetro Consortium - a major consortium that counts among its members Confartigianato Venezia and Confindustria Venezia - that for over twenty years has been involved in valuing the image of artistic glass, in order to preserve, protect and defend the thousand year-old art of Murano glass-blowing, and promote, develop, value and handle proper world-wide marketing of this significant cultural heritage.
Ongaro e Fuga is proud to be the only certified Promovetro member company to produce mirrors on Murano island.